The Jeffersonian: Politicks, Sports, and Culture

Monday, March 27, 2006

Concerning Kinky, Part II

(Demosthenes continues his argument.)

To add more grist to the mill, here's
Jaime Castillo's take on why Kinky's (in my opinion) vacuous style will do
well. It seems to mirror what I was saying earlier. Cincinnatus' disagreement with my point aside, I don't seem to be the lone voice in the wilderness.

In response to a ‘What the hell are you thinking?!’-email, one of my friends, who is supporting Kinky, wrote me this:

Our country ranks among the worst in the industrialized world as far as education is concerned. What is even more appalling is that this state ranks among the worst in this country. Kinky wants to change that. Yes, I can hear you going on about how the democrats will do a better job in that area, blah blah blah... Simple facts remain perfectly clear, historically, neither the republican nor democratic party has managed to accomplish anything in this area in the state of Texas.

In 1978 Wiliam P. Clements became the first republican elected as governor of this state in generations. The problems with education were well in place before then, which is why the first school that I ever went to was a private school. My sister started there a few years before I did, and that was before Clements was first elected as governor. The reason we were placed in private schools was that our public education system was terribly lacking, even after generations of a democrat controlled government.

Neither republicans nor democrats have really pushed anything that will change this simple fact. Yes, we have standardized testing as a result of this, whoop tee doo. ... How can we believe either party on the issue of education.

Kinky does want to do something about this. While he may not always be clear in expressing his ideas and visions to the voting public, it is clear that neither republicans nor democrats can get anything done in this arena.

As to the health care question, what are other candidates saying when thrown that question in an open forum?

Yes, I am tired of politics as usual. I am tired of deciding which noisy minority’s candidate to support.


Now, does Kinky want to do things? Probably. Does he have the ability and ideas to do those things? I seriously doubt it – but it doesn’t really matter to the voter. That’s my point. All they care about is that he’s not the usual, which – in the mind of MANY people – is already a step up. The problem, in their eyes, is not the ideas, it’s the stalemated political process which isn’t getting us anywhere but further down the tubes. It’s
almost as if they expect Kinky to shake things up a bit. They’re desperate for something different, and at least he is entertaining. Now if this isn’t the text-book definition of an electorate desperate for a populist, I need a
different text-book.

I like Chris Bell – I will vote for Chris Bell – but that doesn’t negate the fact that Chris Bell is the least interesting candidate in the race. That hurts.