The Jeffersonian: Politicks, Sports, and Culture

Thursday, February 02, 2006

My Condolences

Via the Express-News, we find out that George Dickinson, a former HB Zachry employee that was the second employee in the past 8 months to be fired over inappropriate e-mail use, has killed himself. I kid you not, I had a post right here ready to go about this incident. Luckily enough I always check the website I'm linking to for anymore updates right before I hit the publish button.

My condolences go out to the Dickinson family. I cannot even begin to fathom the chain of events they have been a part of over the past few days.

Update, 4:00pm: One more thought about this before I leave you for the day. This could've easily have happened during the 2005 fiasco, and that's the inherent problem with publicizing stuff like this. Now I don't know that had this been handled privately, we still would not have had the same result. A relative doesn't think so, but I don't know. I do think that we need to step back and realize just how many stupid e-mails we've all sent from our own work addresses- how many of them we could've been fired for and how many of us would've be able to endure the public ridicule with it being printed in our respective city's daily newspaper. There's a very fine line here that's starting to get crossed. In the name of news, publicity, 'showing the public what really happens being closed doors' etc. And I for one, don't like it one bit.